kids connecting to nature

Climate Change & Conservation eNews

Community

Home > Climate News > Climate News: Community

Coastal Maine
COURTESY / BRIDGET BESAW, MAINE COAST HERITAGE TRUST

Coastal access, climate change key as Maine Coast Heritage Trust turns 50

Maine Coast Heritage Trust is increasingly talking about climate change to people from all walks of life. They are using personal stories and examples to help connect with shared values, and people are responding in a positive way.

Land conservation efforts by the organization have increasingly taken community strength and health into account, as much as the environment, and conservation’s overall impact on the state’s economic foundation. As the climate changes, that focus is more important than ever, he [Tim Glidden, president of Maine Coast Heritage Trust] said…

Read More »
Climate Change In The American Mind
Yale Climate Change Communication

Climate change in the American mind: April 2020

Our latest national survey finds that, in the midst of the COVID-19 epidemic, American public opinion about climate change has remained steady and, in some cases, reached all-time highs. For example, Americans’ understanding that climate change is happening has tied the prior all-time high, and public understanding that global warming is human-caused has reached an all-time high. The report includes many other interesting findings, including how often Americans hear and talk about global warming.

Read More »
Girl Holding Globe
Brittainy Newman/The New York Times

Americans see climate as a concern, even amid Coronavirus crisis

Yes, your land trust can still talk about climate change and the solutions that you—and others—can and are doing. Researchers thought Covid-19 might displace climate change as a threat in the American mind. It hasn’t, according to a new survey.

Americans’ positions on climate change have remained largely unshaken by the Coronavirus pandemic and economic crisis, according to a new national survey that showed acceptance of the reality of global warming at record highs in some categories.

In the report, Climate Change in the American Mind, written by researchers at Yale University and George Mason University and made public on Tuesday, 73 percent of those polled said that climate change was happening, which matches the highest level of acceptance previously measured by the survey, from 2019.

Read More »
Mature Forests Video Screenshot

Mature forests, carbon & climate: Learning with the land

Local stories about climate change and land protection are a great way to connect with others. Here's an example video your local land trust could emulate.

Come visit with old-growth forest expert Bob Leverett at his own forest in Florence to learn about the role our local forests play in the carbon cycle and in mitigating climate change. Bob shares his scientific method for calculating the volume of a tree and its carbon content, as well as a fascinating look at several species of mature trees on his property, including the beautiful Tuliptree…

Read More »
Im Not Racist Tho
VICKY LETA / MASHABLE

6 ways to be antiracist, because being ‘not racist’ isn’t enough

“One cannot strive to be antiracist without action, and Kendi says that one way to act is by supporting organizations in your community that are fighting policies that create racial disparities. You can volunteer for or fund those organizations. Kendi also recommends using one’s power or getting into a position of power to change racist policies in any setting where they exist—school, work, government, and so on. The point is to commit to some form of action that has the potential to change racist policies…”

Read More »
Climate Justice Is Social Justice March
Eric Risberg/AP

I’m a black climate expert. Racism derails our efforts to save the planet.

Ayana Elizabeth Johnson quotes Toni Morrison in a poignant article for the Washington Post, entitled "I'm a black climate expert. Racism derails our efforts to save the planet."

‘The very serious function of racism…is distraction. It keeps you from doing your work. It keeps you explaining, over and over again, your reason for being.’

Johnson goes on to say, “As a marine biologist and policy nerd, building community around climate solutions is my life’s work. But I’m also a black person in the United States of America. I work on one existential crisis, but these days I can’t concentrate because of another.

People of color disproportionately bear climate impacts, from storms to heatwaves to pollution. Fossil-fueled power plants and refineries are disproportionately located in black neighborhoods, leading to poor air quality and putting people at higher risk for coronavirus…Look, I would love to ignore racism and focus all my attention on climate. But I can’t. Because I am human. And I’m black. And ignoring racism won’t make it go away…”

Read More »
George Floyd
CNN

George Floyd’s memorial and funeral services will take place in Minneapolis, Houston, and North Carolina

This week has been a difficult week and today is another sad, and challenging, day. In the face of escalating violence against people of color and those responding with a call for change, I trust you stand with me in our fight against racism. It isn't enough to be against racism, you must be actively anti-racist. It must be authentic, heartfelt, and sustained.

Services honoring George Floyd, who died while being arrested in Minneapolis, will take place in three states over the course of six days…

Read More »
Screen Shot Of Testimony

The Right Thing To Do: Conservatives for Climate Action Hearing

Watch the Senate Democrats’ Special Committee on the Climate Crisis who will hear from republicans who support climate action…

Read More »
Frank Luntz
J. Lawler Duggan / For The Washington Post via Getty Images

Frank Luntz, the GOP’s message master, calls for climate action

Luntz, whose advice helped Republicans hold power for years and also keep their heads in the sand when it comes to climate change, cited the fire as an example of the climate crisis made personal. He’s the same political consultant who convinced conservatives to rebrand the “estate tax” as the “death tax.” He crafted talking points for the Koch brothers and reportedly convinced the Trump administration to talk about “border security” to drum up support for building a border wall.

But the reality of climate change is increasingly too hard to ignore. “The courageous firefighters of L.A., they saved my home, but others aren’t so lucky,” he said as he recounted the tale during a Senate testimony… “Rising sea levels, melting ice caps, tornadoes, and hurricanes more ferocious than ever. It is happening…”

Read More »
Vermont Forest Carbon
Vermont Forest Carbon Report

Quantifying carbon stocks on conserved land

Carbon market participation will not work for everyone or everywhere. It will work best through project aggregation of properties that are medium (several hundred acres) to large (>1,000 acres) in size, well-stocked, and managed—and where the potential to provide co-benefits that are attractive to buyers in the voluntary market is greatest. Your land trust may also benefit from tracking the development of "aggregated" lands to meet acreage requirements and see how you could replicate it in your area.

Carbon project development in Vermont is compatible with, and in fact would be aided by, participation in other forest stewardship programs. These include forest certification, cost-share by EQIP and the Forest Legacy Program, and Vermont’s Use Value Appraisal (UVA) Program (also known as Current Use).

All three major certification Vermont Forest Carbon: a market opportunity for forestland owners 4 systems in the U.S. (Forest Stewardship Council [FSC], Sustainable Forestry Initiative, and American Tree Farm System) can be employed to meet various requirements under CARB and the voluntary markets, such as the need to have a comprehensive forest management plan…

Read More »